Monday, November 21, 2005

distractions

You know that phrase, you win some you loose some.

how about, the Lord gives and the Lord Takes away.

how about, life's a beach... I never got that one.

Matthew 10 talks about what it means to follow Christ. Part of what it says is that we have to be willing to surrender our relationships with people for the sake of our relationship with God. I know that God will not ask of me every relationship in my life. He set the whole thing up so that we would each depend, in many ways, on other people in our lives to help us grow and for general health in life. I have been blessed with some pretty amazing friendships. For that i am very thankful.

I think I lost a friend recently.

The worst part is there is no question about it. I'm pretty sure i got dumped. I wish i could say it was mutual. It wasn't. We weren't compatible or anything but that has never mattered to me. I have always enjoyed friends of all kinds. Many of whom were quite different from me. This was the case here. I guess i thought that we would keep on doing what we were doing - being different - in friendship, where we could stretch, and challenge, and influence each other, or at least teach each other how to love people different than you. They didn't feel the same.

i didn't plan on sharing any of this. but i read a post that reminded me that blogs aren't just about entertainment but also about sharing life. I guess the threat in all of that is that when you share life, It give people the chance to follow another link and opt out.

I guess we all have to learn like C.S. Lewis “The pain is now part of the happiness then. That’s the deal.”






5 Comments:

Blogger The Reverend said...

Sometimes, it sucks losing a friend...depending on the circumstances..I'm sorry to hear it. I can Identify with how you might feel.
I've always thought on the upside though...the joy of losing friends is realizing the ones you have are more important to you and there is always an opportunity to make new friends....the hardest part is learning to trust again...at least for me it is. Maybe it's easier for you?...problem is some relationships are doomed from the start but I guess as christians we need to try...because there is always the hope that there is another chance with that person maybe not at present but in the future. Coffee is always the answer ;)

4:03 PM  
Blogger Darryl said...

sold on the coffee my friend. Would love to as always.

8:57 PM  
Blogger dawn2454 said...

Sorry to hear you lost a friend recently. That's always difficult, especially when you hope to have friendships last a lifetime. Sometimes we lose one only to find another, as life moves on, so perhaps there's someone else out there who needs a friend...!

4:54 AM  
Blogger Darryl said...

Thanks for the encouragement.

You guys are all great friends

5:53 AM  
Blogger mo said...

I hate getting dumped. My solution...don't make friends. That doesn't work very well either though, you miss out on all the good parts of friendship and the potential great friendships.
I've often wondered how Pastors deal with relationships. How do you handle it when people you put so much of yourself into, just leave?
I admire people like you, who chose to be amongst people, apart of their lives (Pastor or not). Part of that, I guess, involves pain. Yet you continue to do it. I want to be more like that.

1:41 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home