Monday, January 16, 2006

from my reading

I won't bore you with the details of what brought me to this but one guy had a great post on what "emerging" is starting to look like but it had lots of pottytalk so i won't send you there. He did have a link to here and i liked what it says.

A definition of alternative worship
by Steve Collins 2005

What:

  • Christians reinventing faith expression for themselves within their own cultural settings
  • a response to postmodern Western society and cultural change
  • faith expression within culture not in a parallel 'Christian' culture
  • reconsideration of all inherited church forms and structures, including recent modernising ones
  • rediscovery of ancient and alternative Christian traditions as resources for the present and future
  • paradigm shift from centralised into networked forms of church
I especially like the one in bold. I crave Faith in culture. I have grown wearly and lonely and i feel un-fulfilled sometimes when i get myself lost in the Christian Culture. I love the body of Christ, i just don't think we were meant to live in a gated community. I love to see faith expression within the culture. It's just hard from where i sit.


3 Comments:

Blogger mo said...

Faith in culture. Is that sharing Jesus with people but allowing them to be who they are without imposing your beliefs on them?

10:24 AM  
Blogger Darryl said...

My take on that statement is that it's not so much about beleifs as it is about where Christians life out their faith. All too often the impact of the church is restricted to Sunday Mornings and on church grounds (or in church members houses). I think this statement supports the idea of Christ followers engaging the culture around them. I think the first way we do that is by living our lives where other people live their lives. While the fellowship of beleivers can and should be a refuge for people, it should not be a commune or "bubble" We need to bring Christ to people. I think the only way to do that is by living our faith within the culture in which we live, not separate from the culture in which we live. The latter sounds to me like hiding it under a bushel. I should give some examples but i won't hopefully I haven't muddied the waters any more.

6:20 AM  
Blogger mo said...

Nope, that's pretty clear! I think this church is heading in that direction, don't you? I know we can do more though, or maybe I can do more.
Are you looking for creative input? I've got some ideas that I have no idea how to implement. I'm sure other people do too.

8:47 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home